Assistant Professor, Film and Media Studies at Emory University
- I was awarded an Emory University Research Committee grant to finish my book, tentatively titled The Aesthetics of Combat: World War II in American Film and Media, so I worked on that full-time for fall 2015.
- I just finished a year as the Director of Graduate Studies in Film and Media Studies (2014-15).
- Check out a video interview with me on YouTube talking about multimodal writing assignments for the Domain of One's Own program at Emory!
- I presented on "Celebrities' Replay Value" at Extending Play: The Sequel media studies conference at Rutgers in 2015.
- Listen to my interview for the GPB radio show "On Second Thought" about the best films of 2014!
- I talked about my students' awesome digital projects at the Atlanta Digital Humanities and Digital Pedagogy Network meeting in 2014.
Teaching and Research Interests
Current/Recent Writing Projects
- The Aesthetics of Combat: World War II in American Film and Media
- Capturing Motion: Digital Performance in Contemporary Film, Animation, and Video Games
- "Visual Effects: The Modern Entertainment Marketplace (2000-Present)" for Beyond the Silver Screen: Editing and Special/Visual Effects
- "How to Recognize a War Movie: The Contemporary Science-Fiction Blockbuster as Military Recruitment Film"
- "Blackface, Happy Feet: The Politics of Race in Motion Capture and Animation"--Available Now!